Jamaica Intellectual Property Office (JIPO)
The Jamaica Intellectual Property Office (JIPO) was established in January 2001. JIPO acquired its status as a statutory body on February 1, 2002 (JIPO ACT) and is an agency of the Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce.
1. As the national IP office, JIPO provides a central focal point for the administration of Intellectual Property (IP) in Jamaica and has the mandate of administering the following intellectual property systems in Jamaica:
- Copyright and Related Rights
- Trade Marks
- Geographical Indications
- Industrial Designs
- Layout-Designs (Topographies)
- New Plant Varieties
- Traditional Knowledge and Cultural Expressions
2. To advise the Minister with portfolio responsibility for IP on matters relating to the administration of such laws.
3. To promote the progressive development of IPRs in Jamaica.